RE: Chip and service

Keith,

Yes the dealer will know when a Jim C chipped OBDI car is connected to the
diagnostic machine.  The Vin number in the chip will match the Vin of the
chip that Jim originally used in creating the performance chip.  In other
words, unless your car was "the" car that Jim used for R&D or Jim custom
made your chip based upon your original chip, then it will be detectable
with BMW diagnostic tools.  As a former BMW dealer mechanic I can
confidently say that I never ever cross referenced a Vin on a car with the
Vin in the chip.  You are usually distracted with diagnosing real problems,
not looking for a Vin number.

I look at the whole aftermarket chip vs factory warranty thing this
way....You just spent $30,000 + at a dealer.....most of the employees at
the dealer have all of their chromosomes......most of the dealers realize
that their customers want the flexibility of doing with their car (within
reason) what they want (not to mention the whole Dinan thing).  They also
realize that customer satisfaction leads to repeat business not to mention
increased sales potential since the number of cars a dealer is allotted by
BMW is directly related to their CSI or Customer Satisfaction Index.
Believe it or not BMW of Murray in Salt Lake City Utah would service and
perform engine warranty repairs on Jim Conforti's M3 and Carl Bucklands M3
with its chip, suspension, roll bar, and etc.  Furthermore, every employee
who drives a BMW at BMW of Murray recommends and uses Jim Conforti's
software in their cars (funny thing is they are a Dinan Authorized dealer).

It just isn't in the interest of a dealer to play Gestapo with the customer.

Josh
Eurosport

P.S. Remember Jim Conforti OBDII upgrades are undetectable via dealer
diagnostic tools.