<E30> "Inspection" light

I looked in the archives and searched some sites.  They tell how to
reset the "inspection" light, but don't tell what makes it come on in
the first place.

1986 325ES, 150k.  "Inspection" and oil change indicators were lit
when I got the car this fall.  I reset the lights myself after an oil
change by an indep. mechanic.  The lights were out for 1 month/300
miles.  Now the "inspection" light flickers, comes on dim, comes on
bright, goes out, etc.  What causes this?

Also, the "Brake lining" light just started doing the same GD thing.
Flickers on and off going over bumps, not even while braking.  Can I
assume one of connectors is loose at the wheel?  Are they on FL and RR
of the car only?  I haven't crawled under to see.  Are they easy to
find?

Thanks.
Gregg