transition to fast BMWs (long)

Okay.  I need to ask for some advice from the BMW community on how to
handle fast cars.  Or, specifically, how to make the transition from
slow cars to fast cars, with everything being relative.  In my case, I
am making the transition from my highly modified 318i to a E30 M3.  I
realized today that I am going to have a problem.  A close friend has
been kind enough to let me drive around his E30 M3, and today I spun it
around backwards and over a curb.  Not a ton of damage, but a new rim
and alignment will be in order.  Of course, I will be taking full
responsibility for my mistake.
	The problem: the M3 has way more power than I am used to.  The obvious
solution is to enter the turn slower, take a later apex,  and *try* not
to use full throttle.  But, all of this is easier said than done.  As I
have found out first hand.  It just doesn't take much to spin the rear
tires on the M3.  In my modified 318i, I basically entered sweeper turns
fast, cornered hard at full throttle, and maybe pick up a few mphs on
the exit.  In the M3 I take a much later apex, power down, rocket out of
turn, and hope the rear end sticks.  It is a completely different
experience than I am used to in the 318i.
	So my question to the digest is how?  How do I make the transition from
a quick car to one that is truly fast?  Everyone that drives a fast car
has had to make the transition at one time or another.
Whether this was done before track experience (I think) can make a
difference.  In my case, I have done ~10 schools with the 318i.  I feel
very comfortable in the 318i.  It corners flat with little body roll, it
feels perfectly balanced going into 4-wheel drifts when I really push it
at the track.  The rear end will come out under power, but usually only
happens when I take a turn too tight.  The M3 on the other hand has body
roll, pitches (noticeably) when you brake and go full throttle.  Corners
excellent at steady-state (clover leafs), but doesn't feel as
controllable as my 318i.  In regulars turns the E30 M3 feels like a
rocket, going as fast as the rear tires will let it.  Often getting
loose on the exit of turns, which can get scary.  So, am I missing
something here?  Is my problem only self discipline?  Or can someone
give me some advice of making the transition.  It's time for me to move
on, the 318i (2.2L) is too slow and the next logical step is an E30 M3.
I'd hate to think that I can't handle the M-power.

Thanks for reading my post, and please have a safe day...

mulh0021@domain.elided