E30. How does one detect a worn/loose ball joint?

The alignment shop just told me that both ball joints on my 1989 325 ic =
were in need of replacement.  I do not mind doing this at all, but the =
following confuses me.

When I redid the control arms on my 1988 325 is I could see the wheel =
rattle around and the ball joint was loose by 2 mm or so.  This time I =
cannot make the wheel do that.  It seems absolutely tight.  I even =
hammered it a little just to make sure.  I jacked the car up, of course.  =
Bentley also suggests looking for the play and replacing at 1.5 mm.

I think there might be something (perhaps another failure mode) that I'm =
missing.  Does anyone know what?  I will replace the arms next month, but =
would like very much to see the defect before I remove it!

Thanks.

Neil Deshpande
88 325 is
89 325 ic