RE:Radiator Flush (for oil)

Don,

Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:25:54 -0500
From: dstevenson <dstevenson@domain.elided>
Subject: Radiator Flush (for oil)

Hi

Does anyone have a good product for a radiator flush and clean? I have
motor
oil in the coolant. This could be left over from a previous problem and was
never properly cleaned, so I want to flush the radiator and expansion tank
with some kind of solvent/cleaner. The Bentley book mentions a BMW product
for this, but it is so caustic to rubber they tell you to remove the
radiator, tank and flush them separately. Any one have an in car solution?

This is a project car I just picked up and I am trying to not panic into
thinking the worse. The car broke a timing belt and had the head redone
prior to me getting it. I guess the head gasket could be leaking, but there
are no external water leaks, the car runs well and does not overheat. What
else should I check?

Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter

1988 325IS, (to much to list), should have stayed the street car.

1987 325IS, project, should have been the track car

Sorry for the unsophisticated solution,  Simple Green is what you need!!!
Oil in the cooling system is a common problem with Porsche 944's.
I used almost every radiator flush products on the market over a week with
very little success.  I must have spent $30 on flush and nota!!
I then called the Porsche Dealer and the service tech said they use 1 -1
1/2 quarts of Simple Green with clear water and then run the engine to
temp.  Then drain the radiator and block.  Do this twice if necessary and
then thoroughly flush the cooling system with clear water before restoring
the coolant mixture.
Clean as a whistle!!!

- -----
Rodney Moore