red light/blue light

One reason that the Coast Guard *might* be switching over to blue light for
instruments (I assume we're talking instrument lights here) may be because
reception to red is the first part of vision that goes as we reach (and
exceed) the dread "middle age." Sorry guys, it's true.

I read something about this many (many, many) years back in Car & Driver
(or R&T maybe) in an article that was addressing what color instrument
lights should be. At that time they reported that the military was
considering changing the color used in jets because with other medical
advances, they were seeing more "older" pilots--where previously other
factors would ground them before the "color blindness" set in. Sorry, I
have no idea what month/year the article ran--I'd say at least ten years
ago though.

Just more food for thought.

jeff
==
 Jeffrey A. Berg   Purple Shark Media         Rowayton, CT
                  jeff@domain.elided
	Love is fine until you taste
	This melancholy bouillabaisse called letting go
		--Jimmy Buffett, Lage Nom Ai