Blue lights, Nazis and morons-one persons perspective

- --============_-1300190418==_ma============

My appologies to the digest members.  This is long winded....

Jim Powell sent me a note that said "I understand the personality type it
takes to be a cop.  But man, re-read what you wrote.  Half the digest
thinks your a fucking NAZI. This is why people hate cops.  Really."

Wow.  Pretty harsh comparison.  It doesn't feel good to be someone who
singles out members of a specific group based on their appearance, opinions
or beliefs.

Although, "hating cops" sounds like  prejudice to me. Oh but it is totally
acceptable to hate cops, after all, all we do is impose sanctions on
"totally innocent people".  That's why songs like "cop killer" become such
big hits.

Sean Murphy, Chris Bourk and Tim Gergen took exception to being called a
moron.  Although I don't think I singled anyone out or named names.  "You"
is a generalization and contains no specificity.  I suspect that no one on
the digest would have known which of "you" have blue lights installed on
"your" car if "you" hadn't piped up and admitted to it-not that your
preferences are a bad thing.

In fact I have yet to see a BMW here in the Silicon Valley with blue
headlights.  As a rule, they tend to be used by the guys who drive lowered
Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans.  Now I am certain I have seen banter on the
digest regarding these folks and if memory serves, it has been less than
flattering for the most part.  But again, I guess it is ok for everyone
EXCEPT the cop to render their opinion publicly.

90% of people only have contact with law enforcement during a traffic stop.
in most cases they are getting a citation so this is a negative experience.
Grown adults HATE being told they have done something wrong.  5% are
contacted as a result of being a crime victim.  Although getting victimized
is a bad thing, these contacts with the police are usually positive.  And
of course the other 5% are the bad guys we catch, and nobody seems to care
what their opinions are anyway.

In the eight years I have been a police officer, I have learned one very
important lesson. I know people really aren't upset with ME because they
don't know ME.  They are yelling at the uniform and the system that I
represent.  I used to take it personally, now I can care less.  Once again,
experience has taught me that about 1% of the people are the ones who make
complaints.  Well those are the people that you can never please, so why
bother trying.  Looks like that 1% rule holds true here as well, and that's
great.  After all, without differing opinions, we would never have change.
Who the hell want's to live in that Utopian world.

My opinion of blue lights stands.  So if I stop you and you are a "1
percenter" count on getting the ticket.  If I stop you and you treat me as
you would like yourself to be treated, you would go with the "hey can you
change those things back" warning.  "You" can be sure, I don't want it to
be my family "you" hit because "you" couldn't see them trying to cross the
street, because "you" have piss poor lighting equipment installed on "your"
car.  That is nothing short of negligence.  I am sure that if "you" cream
somebody and poor equipment was a factor in the accident "you" will be sued
and "your" insurance may deny coverage because "you" modifed your mandatory
equipment to less than minimum acceptable levels.  The "look" doesn't seem
worth the trouble to me.

Now I realize I will probably be flamed again by the "1 percenters" out
there and I accept that as a consequece of making this post.  I vow to the
other 99% of you that I will not publicly"defend" me, my opinions or my
proffession again.

BTW, to the guy (and anyone else who is interested) who got the carpool
lane ticket, good luck beating that one.  There really is no viable
defense.  (believe me, while waiting my turn in traffic court I have heard
most of them)  Everyone on this list needs to realize one thing.  The CHP
and any "State Trooper" or "State Police Officer" is employed solely for
the purpose of enforcing traffic laws.  Thus, there is very little chance
of "getting off" with only a warning.  Accept that fact and you will be
mile ahead in your battles with speed, carpool lanes and other traffic
matters.

Oh yeah....thanks to those of you who responded to my own heated seats
question.

John

- --============_-1300190418==_ma============

My appologies to the digest members.  This is long winded....

Jim Powell sent me a note that said "I understand the personality type
it takes to be a cop.  But man, re-read what you wrote.  Half the
digest thinks your a fucking NAZI. This is why people hate cops.
Really."

Wow.  Pretty harsh comparison.  It doesn't feel good to be someone who
singles out members of a specific group based on their appearance,
opinions or beliefs.

Although, "hating cops" sounds like  prejudice to me. Oh but it is
totally acceptable to hate cops, after all, all <bold>we</bold> do is

End of bmw-digest V9 #581