That's enough 4x4 bashing... winter's here.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone noticed how silly we sound bashing SUVs and their owners? Now
don't get me wrong - I have no respect for the mentality that purchases a
SUV for fashion. I likewise have little respect for the very weak driving
skills of some of those whom we frequently find behind the controls of
these machines.

Having said that, let's look at the brighter side of this issue
for a moment - there seem to be many short-in-stature, fashionable-looking
people behind the wheels of flashy new SUV's. I don't see much else in the
way of physical commonality between the drivers of these machines besides
those traits - they seem to be of all nationalities and backgrounds,
equally male and female, etc. but generally they seem short in stature and
fashionable. Perhaps the added height of an SUV allows them to see the road
and surrounding conditions better...

But here's the real point of my little diatribe - we sound silly heaping
abuse on them. In fact we sound really stupid doing this. Regardless of
whether we think each one deserves a bucketload of scorn, we sound really
dumb dumping it on them. We drive classy cars (hopefully in a classy way -
safe, fast, etc...) and should do whatever we can to reverse some of the
bad stereotype images that exist of BMW drivers. One way to do that is come
off of our high horses about other drivers.

Now - onto their vehicles... I personally have a history of 4WD vehicles. I
was a 4x4 guy for many years. In fact, between my father and I we have 16
different 4x4's. I remember learning to drive standard in a 1981 4-speed
no-power-steering diesel 4-cylinder LandCruiser wagon with 10.5" wide tires
on it. Driving that vehicle well took a peculiar combination of brute force
and finesse. The rewards were worth the battle of actually driving the
thing when the nasty weather arrived or when the road disappeared.

Now that I spend most of my time in the city I mostly drive my E28 533i BMW
(which I love) and the only 4x4 left in the family is a 1988 LandCruiser
wagon. This is a great truck with a nice fuel-injected straight-six and
31x10.50" ATA's on it with a 4" lift. A custom winch bumper and custom rear
bumper round out the package. This machine is a dream to drive on-road and
a delight when off-road. It particularly shines on snow. *For the record* -
I am proud to drive that truck. It is a technically superb piece of
automotive engineering that is lovingly maintained by a cogent and
experienced owner.

I can pretty well guarantee that every year I'll wind up winching at
least a half dozen or maybe even a full dozen various cars (BMW's
included!) out of all kinds of winter-time trouble. It happens every year.
That LandCruiser has never let me down - not once, not ever - which is
unfortunately much more than I can say for my beloved 5er!

I firmly believe that driving skill and technique are the most important
features of the vehicle/driver package. A BMW is an admirable machine
for winter driving, particularly when outfitted with quality winter tires,
etc. etc... It's really almost perfect from a non-4wd CAR perspective. A
skilled winter driver can do marvels with a well-equipped BMW.

Nevertheless, in winter conditions the skilled driver with good technique
can do better with a better vehicle. I'd guess I'd accept a challenge from
any BMW driver in any factory-equipped BMW (perhaps except the new SUV) to
a general winter-access and winter-survivability contest. By this I don't
mean to rub anyone the wrong way. I have decent experience but for sure I'm
no world-class driver, neither on nor off the road, in winter conditions
nor in fair-weather ones. Nevertheless, in winter conditions the vehicle
makes a huge impact on access and survivability.

An experienced driver in a good 4x4 outfitted with a careful eye to
off-road and snow conditions will be able to clean up BMW's (and most
other cars for that matter) all day long in winter conditions.

SO - let's all have a little more respect for 4x4's. I *know* most SUV's
and 4x4's are bought for city/highway use only and then mainly for fashion
reasons. I *also know* that as a class they handle terribly (there are some
exceptions; for example the PC-1 police package Tahoe is notably better
than many of the rest, etc...) and in fact are downright unsafe in the
hands of clueless/unskilled drivers with lousy technique. Nevertheless, we
look very elitist bagging them all the time - and there really is no excuse
for that. Additionally, in the hands of a skilled driver a decent 4x4 set
up for winter use will be able to drive circles around all of us with our
BMW's in winter conditions. A little more respect is definitely in order.

To any whom this total WOB may have offended, I offer humble apologies...

Aaron

'84 533i RL/BB,BL/SS,Bilsteins,bars,750 bushings,iS trim,lots more...
'88 Toyota LandCruiser 4x4, 31x10.5" ATA's, 4" lift, WARN 8000, etc...

I don't usually post cars, mods, etc. but here it is just in case
anyone thinks I'm an evil shill or an insidious SUV-lobby plant :>
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Student, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services