E30: I want to take off my intake manifold...

I own a 1987 325is with 173k miles.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who responded to my fuel
injector question last week.

This weekend I decided I would like to take a look at my fuel injectors
to see how much crud is on them.

Trying to squeeze fingers underneath the intake manifold to remove the
connectors and bolts is a tought job.  There is not very much clearance
underneath the intake manifold.

When I finally got all four bolts off my fuel rail and popped the
injectors out of the intake ports, I could see the #1 injector covered
with brown crud.  I stopped right there however, because of another
problem.

On the area of the engine which is covered by the intake manifold and
can't really be seen without a flashlight and a mirror, I discovered,
while my hands were fidgeting around with the fuel injectors, that there
is a ton of oil back there.  Its not just caked oil but wet oil and I am
thinking I have a leaking cylinder head gasket.  Along with the greasy,
sticky oil was a ton of sand and dirt.  I stopped taking out my fuel
injectors because I wouldn't be able to keep this dirt out of my
cylinders as I struggled with the fuel rail trying to pull it out from
under the manifold.

I would like to get take off the intake manifold to (1) find out whats
going on with all of the oil underneath it, and (2) take out my
injectors without filling the engine with sand.

Does anyone know how long a job it will be to take off the manifold?  In
my Bentleys book, there is a description of taking off the throttle
housing, but not the manifold.  Is the rest of the job very difficult,
and will I need any special tools?

Best regards,

Andrew Weesner
Milton, MA