re:325 stereo upgrade (long)

     <You wrote>
     I'm also looking to upgrade the factory stereo in my '95 325i.
     Nothing fancy, just a wattage increase with a CD changer.  Any
     suggestions?

     Keith
     '95 325i

     Keith,

     I feel your pain - the stock e36 radios are pretty rotten.  I have
     a '94 325, which I think had the same radio configuration as yours.
      Let me give you some info and share with you what worked for me:

     The head unit on 92 - 95 e36 cars provides speaker level outputs of
     about 5W per channel to an amp in the drivers side of the trunk
     (behind the trim where the gas door would be if it were on the
     drivers side).  The amp delivers 10 -20 watts to each of the four
     corners.  (The factory rating of approx. 200 watts for the system
     are at 100% distortion - usable power of the system is barely
     adequate for AM radio.)

     The problem I had with my system was that on the freeway with the
     windows open, the sound was completely drowned out by the wind
     noise.  My plan was to install new speakers all around, replace the
     amp, and replace the in-dash unit.  However, I didn't really want
     to put $2500 into the stereo, so I started by replacing the in-dash
     (so I could at least have an in-dash CD).

     I wanted to match the red dash lighting, so my choices were limited
     to a very few - Coustic, Rockford-Fosgate, and Blaupunkt's
     Toronto/Sydney units.  I bought the Blaupunkt 7-series Toronto
     in-dash CD with 35 watts/channel for $440 delivered from Continental
     Imports in Gainesville, FL (www.continentalimports.com).  The unit
     is a perfect match for the dash style, and the lighting is
     adjustable in color and brightness to a near perfect match.

     What amazed me the most was the quality and volume of sound that
     resulted.  There is plenty of punch for most rock, R&B, and enough
     bass for all but the most hard-core rap fans.  Like most people, I
     always thought the speakers were the weak link in the stock system;
     however, really good sound can be produced with the stock amp and
     speakers as long as you drive the stock amp with enough power.  I
     no longer feel an urgent need to upgrade the rest of the system -
     there is plenty of volume, good bass response and a natural tonal
     balance - the papery sound of the stock system is gone.

     All I can figure is that the stock head unit didn't have enough
     power to drive the stock amp to full power, and the distortion was
     actually coming from overdriving the in-dash unit, not the
     amplifier.

     BTW, if you do replace the head unit, you need to buy the Blaupunkt
     speaker wiring harness separately (about $5, but a pain if you
     forget to order it).  I would recommend buying a wiring adapter at
     a local electronics store.  I got mine at Circuit City for $20, all
     the wire color coding was accurate on the package.  And the screws
     holding the stock radio are behind covers that you can pry open on
     either side of the radio face.  The screws actually require a
     special pentagon shaped driver ($18 at the dealer - ouch!) but you
     can wedge a small screwdriver or a 4 or 5mm allen key into the
     screw to remove, there's not much torque on them.

     Check out Dale Beunings site at www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw to get
     more background on stereos, and all other things BMW.

     All the usual disclaimers...

     Good luck,

     Mike Schaublin
     '94 325i still stock - haven't figured out the UUC thing yet