<E-28> acc. prob., BMW bikes, and helmets

A couple questions here, and thanks to everyone who answered my last on
transmissions.

1)  My '87 E28 has a dead spot in the initial acceleration pattern.  When I
first step on the gas no matter the time of day, there is no response and
then all of a sudden the car leaps forward according to the position of the
accelerator at the time.  The problem has developed progressively.  Here's
all the pertinent info that I can think of....Jim C. chip well before the
trouble, went to track pipe(no cat) but didn't put in new Ox sensor at the
time--problem existed shortly before this change, have recently had several
backfires that dislodged the backfire blowout valve(proper term for hose
under the air sensor near throttle position sensor??), the gas pedal has
always been stiff but does not seem to stick anywhere in the range or lack
any modulation further up in the pattern.  Any ideas on this???

2)  I am likely going to purchase a BMW motorcycle soon to augment my
Bavarian stable.  Anyone out there with any experience with the F650 or
recommendations on any of their bikes?

3)  When I get the bike, I would like to buy a helmet that I can use both on
the bike and on in CCA Driver's School Events.  Is there a helmet
classification that meets both of these criteria safely.( I remember a
portion of the M vs. SA classification discussion)  Further, what
recommendations do any of you have for the best helmets for both or each of
these applications.  Does a Shoei RF 800 qualify for club schools??

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Scott
'87 535i Sharked

End of bmw-digest V9 #567