535i AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

I've got a 1985 535i with an automatic transmission problem. Any ideas
would be appreciated. Here goes:

Car:             85 535i with 4hp22 transmission [4 speed with lockup,
nonelectronic]
                     97000 easy miles.

Symptoms: Park and Neutral operate normally.
                      Reverse operates normally.
                      Drive, 3,2,1 all act the same--like there is very,
very little connection
between  the engine and drive shaft.
                      I was able to limp home with it, but with
practically no power.
                      I would estimate it would take more than 60 sec. to
reach 25 mph  on the                                             level.
No shifting appears to occur in any forward range.Engine is free to rev
                    in the forward ranges.
Info:              Car had not been driven for 6 mo. then was driven
3miles when problem
                      occured.  Trans fluid level is ok. Cable linkage
from engine to transmission
                    appears  to be ok.
 Any diagnostic help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Wes Cullen
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]