Re: M5 door repaint

In a message dated 98-11-21 15:14:33 EST, Timothy Budd writes:

<< My M5 <E28> experienced some body damage to the right rear door.
 Fortunately (?) my mechanic has an E28 right rear door in his garage from a
 535 (?) I think.  The problem I see in switching the doors concerns the
 paint.  The "new" door is black, but I do not know if it is the Schwartz
 black of the M.  Should I repaint the "new" door.  I really don't want to
 repaint the entire car if I can avoid it.  Any advice?

First of all, make sure the paint on the car is original.  If it's a repaint,
it may be more difficult to determine what kind of paint it is.

'88 M5's, as far as I know, were all painted Schwarz (Solid Black not Diamond
Black) originally with Glasurit (sp?) Paint and they do not have a clear coat!
If the paint is original, a good body shop paint man should be able to match
the color quite nicely, BUT the texture is an entirely different matter
(factory "orange peel" is difficult to match).

I'd recommend quizzing your body shop on the type of paint they use and how
well  they can match the paint texture.  Also, for originality, I'd have the
door jams painted a high gloss as well to match the other 3 doors.  A paint
man familiar with Glasurit Paint would be my pick(although I believe PPG paint
is also used by many shops).

If the car has pinstriping I'd be sure they could match this also.

Good Luck and Happy ///Motoring,

John Weese
BMW CCA#76646
'73 2002tii