Effective marketing techniques...

Rob Mudry writes:

> I agree with you completely that dyno charts and performance numbers are
> marketing tricks.  But I don't need an MBA to point out that good
> marketing techniques help the sales numbers.

  Rob, that's the point.. I don't CARE about SALES NUMBERS...

  I'm not a MARKETEER.. don't want to be.. I'm an engineer and word of my
  products and services have (until VERY recently) spread via word of
  mouth!

  The reason people don't know about the 328 code is apparently (we're
  just figuring this out) is some of the early posts by myself and Josh
  didn't make it to the digest.. hell, Josh still can't post going on
  MONTHS now and we can't raise Welty for the beans!

  As an aside.. this goes to show that the entire mantra of the advo
  industry is a bit shattered as a company CAN make it without big advo
  accounts and a company run by the marketing dept. and not the
  engineers..

  (I've worked for TOO many of those to ever do it to myself!)

> Ok, so it may be very difficult to dyno an OBD-II car...  Thanks for
> sharing the problem with us.  But wouldn't it be worth your time to get
> a volunteer OBD-II 328 and dyno it  properly with your OBD-II software?

  And then Rob, you'd have exactly what you have.. the results of ONE
  car.. which isn't indicative of any other (scientifically speaking)

  Which *I* choose not to post, because they are IMNSHO misleading..

  If you show 12hp.. then everyone who buys EXPECTS that 12hp.. when in
  reality some might get 15.. others as little as 8.. (purely a
  hypothetical here)

  The only reason I ever posted the results of that M3 were to show that
  REAL gains were possible on an OBD-II car, versus the token gains of
  others...

> [...]  That brings me back to effective marketing techniques.

  Which aren't what I'm about.. I'm about effective ENGINEERING.

  I'm not the McDonalds of the chip world.. I'm the Ruth's Chris (yum!)

  Jim C.

  PS: No flame suit needed.. but if'n you're buying make it scotch, not
      beer ;)

  PPS: The whole MARKETING thing is going to be the nexus of RD Sport
       where I'll let THEM do dyno tests and print up glossy materials
       for those who feel that numbers make them happy!