re: <E34> instrument cluster removal

>Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:44:15 -0800 (PST)
>From: Andy Peavy <apeavy@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E34> instrument cluster removal

>Help.

>I have a bulb out in the instrument cluster.  Does anybody know off
>the top of their head if you have to remove the steering wheel to get
>the cluster out?

>The Bentley manual says yes, but I don't want to mess with the >airbag.
I'm hoping I can adjust the steering wheel out all the way >and get it
out, but before I try...

>Andy Peavy
>91 535i
>email: apeavy@domain.elided

>p.s. Whatever happened to Rolling Rock Bock?

Andy,
Don't be afraid of the airbag.  It's really no big deal to remove.  If
you follow the instructions per Bentley, everything will be fine.  I
repaired my E34's instrument cluster successfully by following it.  I
think it would be MUCH easier to remove the cluster with the steering
wheel removed.  Don't turn on the ignition with the airbag disconnected
though or you'll have to take a trip to the dealer to reset it as you
will get a flashing airbag light on the dash.  Moreover, remember to
place the airbag in the trunk facing up as an extra precaution.  Good
luck!

Chuck MacWilliam, R.N.
'92 525i
'85 325e