Mobile1 and water don't mix

Fellow listers,
I was sitting at a traffic light this morning in my 89 325ic when all of a
sudden the coolant light went on and the temp gauge flew into the red. I was
only a block away from home, all down hill thankfully, so I coasted the car
home, popped the hood to see what the deal was. First check was to the
expansion tank and it was bone dry. I then proceeded to check the hoses
looking for leaks and found nothing. Bad sign, where did the antifreeze go?
Decided to fill up the tank to see just how much coolant was missing and
after pouring in about a gallon and a half, I figured this was pretty bad,
so what the hell, let's go for the gusto, and start this thing up. The
engine starts just like it always does, sounds just like it always does, but
within a few minutes oil starts foaming out of the expansion tank. I figure
it's a valve guide or maybe a broken water jacket somewhere, anyway it's
gonna be pretty large dollars. Which brings me to my question, for all that
want to offer any advice. Being that this car has pretty high mileage
(189,220) I believe I'm in the market for a new engine has anyone had any
experience with Bavarian Auto Recyclers? or any other engine rebuilds?
Could I maybe throw in an engine from a E36? How about that M3 engine
Zionville has? Any comments/ suggestions anyone might have would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA
BT