Re: warming up my car

In a message dated 11/16/98 9:21:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:53:31 -0800
 From: Jerry Chyo <jerryc@domain.elided>
 Subject: Re: warming up my car

 >My owner manual says NOT to run the engine a long time at idle just to
 >warm up the car. I think it suggests a max of 30 seconds or something
 >low like that. Obviously, no-one at BMW has had to wake up to a frigid
 >car in frosty Calgary.
 >
 >Does the BMW caution against long idling (to warm up the car) arise more
 >from an environmental concern, or is there a valid and important
 >MECHANICAL reason for this?

I read an article about it a long time ago and if I remember right,
the biggest reason for not letting your car idle for to long is that
it takes ( obviously ) much longer to reach operating temp. Not only
does it pollute the air more that way, but also the oil in your engine.
A cold engine doesn't burn clean and therefor it puts all the
carbonmonoxids etc.( or whatever there called )  in the air AND
IN YOUR OIL. So the faster you warm up your engine, the less
bad stuff goes in your engines Oil. The best/safest way to warm
up an engine is at medium rpm range and light loads.

Norm Siegenthaler
97 M3

End of bmw-digest V9 #537