Re: Car washing--

- --------------------
David Beatty <dbeatty@domain.elided>
Subject: car wash stuff

I have a new //m roadster (imola red) and would like to keep the paint,
etc in good condition as long as possible. <snip>
- --------------------
David : FWIW, my regimen below. It works really well for me.

Soap: Not too picky, been using Armor All for a while. Also, I get a lot of
ribbing for having bought this--but I don't use a sponge or a wash mitt, I
use a very soft boar's hair wash brush that I ordered from Griot's Garage
(very pricey). I think it works beautifully.

Polish/Wax--I don't think a new car needs to be polished, but waxed, yes.
For my 1.75 yr old coupe, I have three steps about 2-3x/yr:
1) detailing clay used with Final Inspection
2) Polish with Meguiar's #7 (glaze)
3) Wax with Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax

I may wax the top surfaces of the car in summer and the sides in the winter
more frequently for extra protection. If I don't have time for washing, and
the car needs to be "presentable" for some special event (and is not too
dirty), I will use Final Inspection to clean it off (I am very leery about
doing this however & will only do it when desperate).

Leather care: Lexol only for me! I think it's fantastic. Vacuum first, then
clean. I have to keep after my leather *all* the time because it's lt.
gray. For dash/vinyl trim, I swear by Vinylex (also by Lexol). It lifts a
*lot* of dirt and cleans very well w/o looking too shiny.

The other thing is that the more you keep your car waxed, the less dirt
you'll have to "scrub" off of it when you do wash it. A good wax job will
do a way better job at shrugging dirt and other contaminants off.

Maybe if someone convinces me that Zymol Creame Wax is worth the money,
I'll go for it, but for now, I think Meguiar's pdts. are just fine.

Miki H.
1997 328is/Arctic Silver