Re: Warm up Before Driving

> From a mechanics point of view,

        A 5 minute warmup is fine and recommended. As stated even though the car is
warmed up by that time the rest of the drivetrain is not. Although the transmission
(if automatic) is starting to warm up by the end of five minutes simply due to the
front pump circulating hydraulic fluid through the radiator, it trult isn't warmed
up for fast take offs.
    A genleman that came to my station for over 20 years had his own way of  making
his vehicle road ready for each drive. Now hold your socks on, he ran only 10
weight oil HD quaker state. I know this because I was the one doing the oil
changes, relogiously every 3000 miles. He would warm it up for five minute, and
then drive off not exceeding 35mph for the next five minutes. The car was a 1968
chevrolet chevelle and last I saw it had 285,000 miles before I sold the station
and retired. Dan Consadine passed away 4 years ago and his son was driving the car
until it was sold.
    I routinely warm my BMW 733i (1984) for 5 minutes, because it has had a rod
knock since I bought it two years ago. The rod is mostly quiet after the 5 minute
warm up and actually has gotten quieter over the last two years. I also run only
synthetic oils for the last 20 years and never was stranded for any reason.
    I routinely drive in excess of the speed limit (a good radar detector is
important) between Charleston SC and Columbia SC at 90-110mph. The main problem I
have had is tire failure from broken belts as the speed amplifies the vibrations
caused by damaged belts. Yes I do buy quality speed rated tires. But if you want to
run with the bad boys you have to be willing to pay the price.
    The digest is a wonderful resource for technical information, and the FAQ is
great. Readers would be surprised at the wealth of information available in the FAQ
and generally most of the questions that show here are addressed there. I did the
SI conversion for the cosdt of two Sony nicads (available at circuit city & rated
as stock)
and a $1.98 battery holder from Radio Shack. I can access the batteries without
having to pull the dash now. Also in case some didn't know it the batteries also
supplu a bias voltage to the fuel guage and evidence of bad batteries can be seen
in a fluctuating fuel needle.
     The humor regarding the leaf blowers had a basis in fact. In the mid 70's
electric blowers were added by enthusiasts to force more air into the cylinders
causing improved performance and better gas mileage. Remember more oxygen gives a
better burn. Also the use of a water injection system caused improved performance.
They are simple to build and low cost. Don't play around if you don't know what you
are doing, because severe engine damage can happen if done improperly.

                                                                            Take
Care

Thomas:-)