E34 Horn

My horn is inoperative because the steering wheel is not grounded with the
ignition ON .  Interestingly, the wheel is grounded with the ignition OFF.
In fact, the ground is lost when the ignition lock cylinder is pushed inward
(even without the key).  I know that the rest of the horn circuit (including
the contact ring) is working properly because the horn honks when I manually
ground the horn wire in the steering wheel.

This problem has existed since I bought the car a few months ago, so I can't
say how it might have occurred.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed.

Perplexed,
Mark Nelson
Seattle, WA
92 535i  130k mi