<ALL> ethanol gas

I too have often wondered about ethanol based fuels. Since they are
alcohol, they are suspect in my mind, because of a couple of incidents
that happened to me in the 80s with BOSCH injected vehicles. I was
warned by the dealerships not to use ethanol based fuels. Now of course,
due to oxygenated fuel mandates, we almost have no choice. Here in my
area, MTBE is available only through one brand. Everyone one else
(Conoco, Amoco, ad nauseaum..) uses ethanol. I have been using MTBE each
and every winter for as long as its been available. My understanding of
MTBE, groundwater damage notwithstanding, is that is was a
petroleum-based alternative to the ethanol being touted by the corn
lobby. As I recall, the Bush Administration threw a bone to the farmers
eons ago during the last recession in the form of these ethanol-based
gasoline  mandates. And yes, as I recall, oxygenated fuels have had a
long and colorful history trying to prove that they work. Depends on
where you are on the political spectrum I suppose. Anybody out there in
the O&G industry care to give us more info?

The bottom line is that, with the future availability of MTBE in doubt,
and no other petroleum based alternative available, many of us with
mid-80's vehicles could be impacted by this conundrum. We could very
well be in the same position that many people found themselves in with
the phase-out of leaded gasoline. I believe BMW itself warned about
using ethanol based fuels. Just exactly what is considered to be a
low-alcohol fuel? What are the specific results of using low-alcohol
fuels in a vehicle that may not be specifically designed for ethanol?
What steps can we as owners take to upgrade our vehicles, and is it
worth it? Should this be something that we should be concerned about?

I for one am going to continue using MTBE-laced gasoline until I am told
that it is no longer available. I will use ethanol based gasolines
sparingly, if at all, and will wait for  specific information, perhaps
from this Digest, on the suggested use or non-use of ethanol fuels in my
BMW. Does anyone have any comments?

Rick Viehdorfer
BWW CCA member

'86 535i