Re: Monterey My BMW

Mike wrote:
>I just joined the list yesterday and thought I'd introduce myself.  My
>name is Mike Grattan, I live in the Monterey Bay area of California.  I
>am currently shopping (salivating) for a '99 323i sedan.  This will be
>my first BMW and I am eager to get it as soon as I can sell my current
>vehicle ('98 Grand Prix GTP).
>
>I just have a few questions for now:
>
>1.  What is the designator for the '99 model?  (E37, E38)

I think it's an E46.  The E36 was the last one and I'm pretty sure the new
model year is the new car.

>2.  Has anyone on the list used Eurobuyers?  Any comments on it?

Nope.  The list seems to prefer Steve Diamond (or maybe Eurobuyers IS Steve
Diamond).  I've seen him advertised in the Roundel.  BTW, join the BMWCCA.
Worth the $35.

>3.  Is there anyone on the list that is from the Monterey area and, if
>so, do you have any comments on the MY BMW dealer?

Yea.  P.G. is my hometown (living in Salinas...the armpit of the world).  I
love the parts and service guys.  Very knowledgable and fair.  Definite car
guys.

I've gone in and talked to the salesguys a few times and for the most part
they aren't BMW/Porsche enthusiats.  I even got in a discussion with one of
them about the E36 M3 LWT (just sold last year for $35k BTW).  He was
trying to sell it to some poor guy and he was telling him it had a higher
HP motor, just like the one they sell in Europe and that it had an all
aluminum body like the old Ferarri's...one lie after another.  I waited for
the customer to leave and asked the saleman where he got his info (I tried
not to come off as an ass, but I'm sure I failed).  We got into a little
bit of an arguement until some guy who was standing by piped in that I was
right.  The saleman threw down some paper and told me to sell the f*cking
car, then he stormed off.  He's pretty typical.  They are owned by a
company that sells lots of other brands and their salepeople travel between
stores.  Don't let them tell you otherwise because I've seen them in
Salinas at the MY Jeep/Eagle and MY Nissan shops (when I was looking for an
SUV).

Enough blabbering.  Hope that helps.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5