Paint chipped down to ... black?

While going through the full Meguiar's treatment today,
I noticed I have quite a number of small chips through
the paint down to... black.  Black?  I'd like to think
that's a primer coat or something; but I fear its metal
I'm seeing.

Anyway, are such a rust hazard?  Do I need to repair
those for protective reasons?  Or is it just a cosmetic
problem?

Are such common occurrences with BMW paint?  Anything
that helps prevent that?  (Other than a bra, which won't
be appearing on my car.)

Thanks,

Brian

P.S.  How many small terry towels do _you_ need to wash,
prep, polish, and then wax your car?