m50 vs. m50tu, sharking an m50 <e36>

>Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 16:17:21 EST
>From: Matt6481@domain.elided
>Subject: My 92 325is is SHARKED!!!

<Matt raves about his harked 92 325i's increased low end torque>
>I've driven a 95 325i and M3 3.0 before and after being shark-infested, and
>the zero to sixty improvement is much more noticeable in both of those cars.
>The obvious extra torque, combined with the ability to hit sixty in 2nd (and
>my God, the tach shoots up quicky!) has to be an improvement, but I don't even
>know the stock figures for a non-vanos. I'd heard that a sharked non-vanos
>325i would be faster than a stock 328i, but now I'm not so sure. Am I wrong?
>Anybody have any acceleration numbers (stock and sharked) or other experiences
>for me?

Matt:  you've got the non-vanos motor.  Feel lucky:  The non vanos motor
has some really hot cams in there.  Hot enough that BMW decided that these
motors didn't idle all that well and issued a TSB to advance the exhaust
cam and retard the intake cam at the expense of top end power in the
event that the customer complained about idle quality.

non Vanos cams are :
INTAKE  240 degrees, 9.7mm lift
EXHAUST 240 degrees, 9.0mm lift

Vanos 2.5L cams are (I think):
INTAKE 228 degrees, I forgot how much lift, but not more that 9.7mm
EXHAUST 228 degreesm 8.9mm lift

Anyways, VaNoS basically just advances the intake cam by a preset
number of degrees (its 12.5, right Jim?)  (Jim feel free to correct me.)
And above x rpm, VANOS shuts off.

So the VaNoS motor will have slightly better bottom end torque.

But after the VaNoS shuts off (Somewhere around the 3.5K rpm range,
I think), the 93 car will be outpulled by the 92 car every time.

Oh yeah, and your car has 1mm thicker valve stems, dual valve springs
(not single ones like the VaNoS cars do), a bigger alternator,
and much MUCH bigger and stronger connecting rods.

Drawbacks?  a little more reciprocating mass and the lack of a knock sensor.

Okay, don't believe me when I say the 92 motor is the hot one?
Ask Pete Mchenry.  ;-)

Jason Leung
92 332i  M50 head  S52US block  TD06H turbine  20G compressor