Newbie seeking <E28> help

I recently came into possession of my mother-in-law's former car-- a 1986 528e
slushbox with 105K miles.

I noticed a slight shake in the steering wheel that would become more
pronounced under light braking at ~45 mph.  Also, the Anti-Lock light would
come on if I exceeded ~65 mph. I decided to take in to a local (NY/NJ) dealer
to inspect the brakes & front end.  (Although the local dealer shall remain
nameless, it's the only one I know of in this whole WIDE WORLD that advertises
an 18% discount to BMW CCA members in the Roundel)

Anyway, the tech guy called me & advised that the following parts were worn
out and needed to be replaced:

Front: upper & lower control arms, center link, thrust rod bushing, Idler arm,
tie rod ends - $1,150.00, parts & labor

Rear control arms - $280.00

Transmission mounts $(lost quote)

He also said that they were unable to duplicate the Anti-lock light coming on,
but that all 4 wheel hubs looked like they could use replaceing, too.  $780
parts & labor.

On the plus side, he said the brakes looked OK.

I looked through the partial repair history that I have on the car and found
nothing that would indicate that any of these had been replaced previously.
Does this diagnosis sound likes it's within the realm of normal?  Are the
quoted prices reasonable?  When replacing these parts, would it make sense to
upgrade any of these components to, say, something from a 7-series that would
either 1) last longer or 2) perform better?  Are any of these items DIY-able
for a novice?

In the meantime, I've got a '98 328i loaner that I'm enjoying the hell out of.

Thanks in advance for any help.  You guys don't suck.

- -Drew Zacharda
'86 528e
BMW CCA #148299