E30 re:Questions/Concerns

Vetere (who?) asks

>2.  The Brake Lining Light is on, but the pads are new.  How would this be
>fixed?

light works by passing current through 2 sensors..
sensor is a wire that loops through a piece of plastic
plastic clips into brake pad (right rear, front left wheels)

if sensor was not replaced, if wire is broken (often loose part gets worn
through by wheel or something), if no sensor was used etc, you will
get the light on the dash.

>3.  The door locks were replaced several years ago (I have all of the
>records), but the glove box, trunk, and ignition still use the old key.
>Could it be easily be made so that all locks use the same master key?

there is a door lock repair kit (for fixing crappy lock cylinders on E30
and E28).. the kit costs ~$30 and includes all tumblers to key the cylinder
to all possible combinations (including your old key)

that is the way it *should* have been done before..

you could buy 2 kits and rekey the drivers door/ passenger door locks to
your existing key (or have a locksmith do it)

it should not be a big deal if you get the kits

(see my FAQ for info on how things work)
ftp://ftp.doe.carleton.ca/pub/chrisp/bmw/central.lock.faq

>4.  The trunk leaks on one side only.  Can this be fixed easily?

check the FAQs
possible sources:
sunroof drains
tail light rubber gasket