Re: Radio Wiring 325 iC. Help needed BA

>Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:40:46 -0500
>From: "Neil Deshpande" <Ndeshp@domain.elided>
>Subject: Radio Wiring 325 iC.  Help needed.

>The following wires are in the cluster I believe to be for the radio =
>wiring.  All other wiriing has been accounted for.
>
>Brown/Black: Seems to be ground.  Continuity with door hinge bare
metal.

Brown/ black is the ground.

>Red/Grey: Continuity with ground.  No voltage wrt ground at any key
position.

Not a radio wire.

>Green/Red: 4.4 V wrt ground when key in I and II position.  No voltage
when off.

Not a radio wire

>Violet/Sky Blue: 12V when key in I and II.  No voltage when off.

This is your ignition power, although it should be Violet/Gray.

>White: Continuity with ground.

There are two white wires, one is your antenna trigger, the other is
dash lights.  The full time power wire is yellow and shares a two pin
connector with the dash light white wire.

>Grey (thick steel tipped):  Is this the antenna trigger?

This is the antenna lead.

>The following are I think the speaker wires.
>
>YL/RD
>YL/Black
>BL/RD
>BL/Black
>
>YL/RD
>YL/Brown
>BL/RD
>BL/Brown
>
>None of these show continuity with the speakers, but that could be
because =
>they are cut somewhere behind the dash.  I think I can deal with these
=
>fairly easily.

Does the car have an in dash fader wheel ? If so, and you are not
installing a factory radio, do yourself a favour and run new speaker
wires throughout the car.  The in dash fader uses common grounds and
hooking an aftermarket radio to this wiring can cause it's output
channels to take a dive.

>Neil Deshpande
>88 325 is
>89 325 iC

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you