dyno can do it all, hp , torque and time to accelerate.

So to recap (hold on, almost done now!), both methods of measurement
have valid applications.  The audience (that's the other 4000 of you out
there reading this) needs to consider what was done and why it was
done.  Then you can decide if it is something you want to try for
yourself.

Phew, done now.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977

??>>>>>>>>>>>Scott , you forgot one thing.      the dynojet printout has
every rpm with a  delta time from the previous RPM.
So, it really does everything you want it to do.   It  is dynamic!! in fa=
ct
theywouldnt even need to race cars if they just put them on the dyno.   =

for a drag race, but then wasnt the point of racing to test  car control,=

reaction time , and have some risk.   Other wise , you could get dynamic
times easily with a dyno , except for the aerodynamic differences.

What does this mean????YOU get both HP curves and how those HP curves wer=
derived.   You get times from 3000 rpm all the way to red line and the
weight of the drums they are accelerating, are very close to the loads th=
car tries to accelerate.   So , no one has done more 60-100 runs than me.=
  =

( i have a whole spread sheet of 20 cars, some from the road and track
specs, some from european magazines and most from actual tests   ( 911
turbos, M3 e30s, with and with out mods, 928s heavily modified and stock,=

993 twin turbos, and others.   the one thing that I do know is that there=

is a direct coorelation between HP (and as you said, the shape of the HP
curve or more specifically the shape of the torque curve. ) and 60-100
times.
if you weight 3300 lbs and you say you have 240hp flyweel  or 200 to the
ground, You should be in the 9 second range.
If you do 40 hp mod, you can improve by 1 second.    =

Now the other thing i get a kick out of  is the cam that buys you 20 HP. =
 =

well it usually buys you 20 hp from 6krpm to 7200, but you loose 10 hp fr=
om
4000 rpm to 5500.     this creates a slower than expected car  as your ne=
gain is only the area under the curve.
Intergration , right JIM?????

Anyway, the dyno is the only way to measure real gains, the only dynamics=

that change in a speed run is aerodynamics, but theyreally only help gas
mileage and top speeds (as the E30 is not a pretty picture when it comes =
having a low drag coeff.)

So, In my test of the Honda with the ram air, the 4 hp bought me .2 secon=
ds
not a lot over a 12 second run from  3200 rpm to 5600 rpm (for those of y=
ou
that saw the HP curves I sent out to you)    .2 seconds , not a lot, but =
if
you are racing in the quartermile, and you do a few of those 4 hp gainers=
,
You have alittle  more fun and beat more people.     =

This is good suff.

Mark Kibort
ERAM

By the way all , just finished final testing of the electric circuit.   I=
works like a champ .   relay is over spec'ed for long life and fan is usi=
ng
the Higher end more eff motor.     Production of the first units are
started , lead time is 2 weeks .     sounds like a little jet engine,   N=
ot
at all like a shop vac!!!!!!
If you were interested.
mk