Radio Wiring 325 iC. Help needed.

My 1989 325iC was broken into and the behind-dash wiring, etc., completely =
messed up.  I'm in the process of trying to connect a new radio into the =
car.

The following wires are in the cluster I believe to be for the radio =
wiring.  All other wiriing has been accounted for.

Brown/Black: Seems to be ground.  Continuity with door hinge bare metal.
Red/Grey: Continuity with ground.  No voltage wrt ground at any key =
position.
Green/Red: 4.4 V wrt ground when key in I and II position.  No voltage =
when off.
Violet/Sky Blue: 12V when key in I and II.  No voltage when off.
White: Continuity with ground.
Grey (thick steel tipped):  Is this the antenna trigger?

To install the stereo I need to have three wires - ground, continuous =
power (memory power) and ignition power (drive power).  Can anyone point =
out whey so many of the above wires are similary in function, etc.  Which =
ones can I use.  Is there something else that is wrong?  What are the =
other wires for?  Why is there no continuous power wire?  Could I be =
testing it incorrectly by testing voltage with respect to ground?

The following are I think the speaker wires.

YL/RD
YL/Black
BL/RD
BL/Black

YL/RD
YL/Brown
BL/RD
BL/Brown

None of these show continuity with the speakers, but that could be because =
they are cut somewhere behind the dash.  I think I can deal with these =
fairly easily. =20

I guess I could rewire the radio from scratch, but I'm just bothered by =
the fact that I could hook up all the other seemingly more complex stuff =
and am stumped by the stereo!  I would love to have all the wires hooked =
up as they were and these are the ones that are left.

Thanks.

Neil Deshpande
88 325 is
89 325 iC