Re: E28 Power Steering Filter Replacement

Bill asked about changing the power steering fluid filter in an E28.  I=

wrote this up a while ago after I completed the task:

What you need:    16x22 mm BMW hose , =BD meter and 2 clamps
          smaller hose, 2/3 meter, and 4 smaller clamps
          1 filter

I jacked the front end of the car up and put it on stands, but this is =
not
necessary, it just makes things easier.  Spread newspaper or cardboard =
box
under the car cause the fluid is going to splatter.  Pump the brake ped=
al
to discharge the bomb.  The factory uses crimp on clamps instead of the=

worm gear type used on radiator hoses.   These are loosened by sticking=
screwdriver or other small tool into the ?bow? on the clamp and prying =
it
apart.  I had to use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to get one off
because I could not get any leverage on it.  I started with the large
diameter hose that connects the reservoir to the pump, and loosened the=

lower clamp first.  This allowed me to pull off the hose and direct the=
 ATF
into a drain pan below with a minimum mess.  Now remove the two small
diameter hoses (there are two more, one leading from the steering rack =
the cooling line and another from the cooling line back to the reservoi=
r)
and cut the new ones to length.  Put them back on using new worm gear
clamps.

The hardest part of this job is replacing the filter.  Inside the reser=
voir
you will see a wire basket.  This is help by two c-clips on the center
post.  Underneath (way down) is a metal plate held down by a spring, wh=
ich
is held by another c-clip.  Getting the plate out is a little tough,
because it gets hung up on the relief cut for the c-clip.  If you have
large hands you might have a tough time.  The filter just sits down und=
er
the plate.  Mine was badly deformed from ten years under the pressure o=
the spring.  Wear safety goggles when you put the spring and c-clip bac=
in.  You will have to compress the spring and things are slippery.  The=

spring will shoot out and hit you in the eye, ouch!  I used a pair of l=
ong
needle nose pliers to compress the spring, and a short pair of needle n=
ose
pliers to reinsert the c-clip.  Now refill with Dexron ATF(the system h=
olds
2000ml / 68 Fluid ounces) and bleed the system by having a helper turn =
the
steering wheel back and forth with the motor running.

Shane Kleinpeter
BMWCCA #110057
Tarheel Chapter

                                  n n n n