How do you know when to change your clutch and water pump??

Grettings fellow bimwads,

I was just wondering at what point should I think about changing the
clutch in my 95 325i.  It has 57,000 miles on it and it still has the
original one.  With my previous bimmer it just went out on me one
morning and I don't want that to happen with this one.  I have noticed
that it is starting to get a little stubborn when I put it into first
gear but other than that it's fine. (I think)
The water pump is also the original one and as far as I know it works
fine. No leaks or wierd noised but like I said I don't want it to just
konk out on me one fine day.  I think I read on past digest that 60,000
miles is a good point to change the water pump.  Is this correct?  Any
inputs are appreciated!! TIA!

Manuel Paredes
1995 325i
L.A. Chapt BMWCCA