E30 Bearing roar in the back.

     Listers,

     There is an obvious bearing roar in the back of my 325iX.  I took a
     mechanic of some local repute for a test ride and he said "carrier
     bearing in the differential" and proceeded to tell me that bearing
     replacement is a waste of time.  He said to replace the diff (to the
     tune of a cool 1000.00) and move on.

     My questions: Can you tell just riding in the car?  Isn't a wheel
     bearing problem more likley?  If it is the carrier bearing, is the
     answer to R&R the diff?  Are wheel bearings a problem with the iX's?

     I have had good luck with the digest in the past.  Thanks for your
     time...

     Case Biezenbos
     NASA Michoud Assembley Facility