RE: ETA Questions

Hello BMW Experts!       I would like to take a crack at answering the
below questions:

>>When I first got my 528e last month I was actually suprised at the
>>acceleration that
>>it had,

>This is precisely the reason so many of the 325E's seat backs are broken;
>That whiplash acceleration :)
     I think the 325e feels pretty good at first, but then it gets to that
     rpm where you expect extra, and it quits!

>>1. I've heard that the "e"  engines had slightly larger intake and
exhaust
>>manifolds
>>to help  get better fuel economy, Is this true?

>Not to sure, sorry
     The intake and exhaust runners are smaller, for faster flow at low
rpms.

>>2. Isn't the only difference between an "e" and an "i" is the head and
the
>>computer?

>You can change the top half of the block with an I and it is then
>essentially a 2.7L I engine. The computer, tack, speedo, rear dif
>(possibly) might also need to be changed. Put in a newer 3.5L instead or
>get a new car.
     If you put an 'i' head on an 'e' block, you get compression of
8.(low):1.
     Like my old 2002's before I fixed that problem!

>>3. What is the "super eta", and is it super on gas mileage or on
>>acceleration?

>The 1988 super ETA is a slightly more tuned version of the original. The
>SUPER boasts a heart stopping 7 extra HP. (you will get more from a chip)
     The super ETA has the 'i' head, but not the cam.  Not sure which
     manifolds it uses.

>>4. I have a 528e and was thinking of putting in a chip to help with the
>>throttle response, is it worth it?

>The ETA was developed to maximize economy, If you chip your ETA you will
>see a significant improvement, well worth the money. You will have to use
>Premium fuel but at the age of the engine it wouldn't be a bad idea
anyway.
>Fuel economy might suffer a bit (so what)
     The chips are good!  Go with the J.C. chip, and smile all the way
home!
               Murf '87 328is bmwcca 79550