portable dyno 60-100 mph test

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
>ubject: handheld dyno possibility

I wonder if all the wonderful physicists and engineers out there could =

figure a way of extrapolating torque of an engine by measuring the =

forces required to accelerate the car and then test the acceleration. =

Then using some calculus, you could figure a way to actually calculate =

torque at any rpm. And then for an added bonus, if you have a graphing =

program or calculator you could graph it. And since horsepower is a just =

torque*rpm/constant(5252 I believe) then horsepower could like wise be =

calculated and plotted. whadya think? Plausible?
Craig Robson-> hoping to know just how much power his car makes without =

paying for the dyno run. Also this would make a good way to figure the =

increase in power of mods. <

to check  HP.
time is veryclose to the dyno inertia machine.   Youre using the same law=
of physics
you video tape your speedo  with one hand and just run in 3rd gear up to
100 or 90 if you want.
3500 to 6000 rpm.   No shifting error, long enough time to cancel out
reaction time of timer.
very closely coorelated to the dyno run for a 3200 lb car.  =

I use it all the time when Ido mods, andback it up occasionally at the
dyno.

try it and see what you get.

if you have an M3  (3250 lb)   the hp is the following for the 60-100 run=
s =

 (HP referencing flywheel , because of ease to relate to )

9 seconds     240 hp
8.5 seconds   260 hp
7.8 seconds     295  hp

if you are an e30  ( 2700lbs) then
11 seconds     185 stock
10 seconds      200  hp  with all the cams and exhaust mods
9 seconds         220 hp  with the 2.5 stroker new engine
8 seconds         260   all the trick race intake and exhaust stuff with
cams  and big valves =

6.5  seconds       300 group A =

check it out  and report back to the list     Should be interesting

mark kibort