Re: <e30> 325e won't go into 1st or 2nd gear BA

>Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:10:02 -0500 (EST)
>From: Alix Kay Sebesta <asebesta@domain.elided>
>Subject: <e30> 325e won't go into 1st or 2nd gear
>
>It seems all the strange sounds my car was making have finally culminated
>into something serious.  150 miles into my 210 mile trip this morning it
>decided not to let me put it into 1st or 2nd gear.  I started from 3rd and
>at the next stop it had no problem going into any gear.  After that, it
>was all downhill.  3rd was difficult to select too, later.  I could force
>it into all three, but now without quite a bit of coercion.  Once  I had a
>gear selected, there was no problem (read: the clutch pedal worked fine).
>I finished the last 60 miles of my trip and haven't moved my car since.
>However, I have to get it home for thanksgiving, which is another 200 mile
>trip.  Is it safe to drive it that far?  Is it safe to drive it at all?
>The car in question is an 86 325e with just over 180K on the clock.
>I don't even begin to know what any of this means.  This is very very
>depressing.  Anyone have any ideas?
>
>alix
>*sigh*

My first guess is that the two 8 mm Allen bolts have backed out of the bushings securing the shift console to the transmission.  A
quick and easy fix if you can get under the car.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you