Buying an E30 325is - Is it a fake?!?!?!

The '87 325is that I test drove had about a 4800-5000 rpm redline.  It felt like it
pushed well up into this range, as if it had the high-revving motor, but the tach was
the low-rev one.  What's the deal?  Did any of the E30 325is's come with the low-rev
tach?  I don't think it's a re-badged 325es, because it had the very supportive
leather seats, and a little tri-color strip on one of the spokes of the steering
wheel that resembles the "M" logo.  It also had that little trunklid spoiler.  But,
it's possible that it was rebadged.  If so, what are some telltale features of the
325is, besides the distinct front air dam?  Any marker in the VIN that I could
readily recognize?  If there are any features I could use to discover the true
identity of this car, I'll go back and see what's going on.

Please reply privately!

Thanks!
- -Rodney Sparks