Electric superchargers - BMW tried something similar

All this talk of things in the intake tract remind me of
something I stumbled across recently. BMW offered two
airboxes for my 635CSi.

One was the normal clear intake and the other, called a Cyclone,
had a fixed cross shaped air deflector right at the front of
the airbox. This looks to have been designed to cause
turbulence in the air stream. I don't know exactly which
models had it. It looks like a four blade metal propeller
but is welded to the edges of the air pipe.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!