Subject: bmw-digest V9 #452

<< ps  Still think my idea of an air tank in the trunk with an airline to th=
 e intake manifold with suplimental injectors is a killer idea for INSTANT
 boost and you get COOL air and NO external loads on the engine during boost,
=

 what
 could be better???

 <>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 Chris, you cant do it,  first , you cant pressurize the intake  with a air
 line because , compressed air will move to the lowest pressure which would
then be out to the air box .  Plus , how would you meet your air volume
demands?? 1000 psi tanks at  3 cubic feet of cubic air would be gone in a
heart beat.  thats only 300 cubic feet, it would be gone in a minute.

 400 cfm for a 3.5 liter motor.   even if you had a compressor, in which,
 why not just supercharge the damn thing and do all the plumming and costs
associated with all the things Im trying to avoid!!!!

 Cant be done -----show me the math, it just doesnt pencil.

Mark,  Actually it does "pencil" quite well.  If you're interested in the math
just search the digest for when we went through this last time - maybe 7 or 8
months ago.

This system would be an *instant* boost system.  Yes,  you would need some
form of guilitine valve or some way of closing the intake tract from air
escaping.

You said: <3 cubic feet of cubic air would be gone in a heart beat.  thats
only 300 cubic feet, it would be gone in a minute. >

Does your heart really only beat once every minute??

The engine might use 300 cfm at 6,000 rpm,  but this is for acceleration runs
of 10 seconds or so and in those cases were the engine is running at 1,500 rpm
it is not using 300 cfm - I think it would work very well.  The system could
be designed with regenerative systems ie. the compressor engages upon brake
pressure and is driven off the drive shaft - for instance - I'm not selling
the idea,  just think it would be a neat thing to see.

Christopher