<E30> mysterous wire

I just replaced the rear brake pad sensor harness (thanks Alan Alfono
for the p/n!) to turn off that annoying light on my dash.  When I cut
off the old harness, there were three wires: yellow/green stripe,
brown, and blue.  Now, the yellow/green and blue went to the old
connector, so I wired 'em up to the new harness.  Bingo, no more light
on the dash.

But what is the brown doing there?  There was voltage between either
of the other two and the brown, and folloing BMW convention, I'd
assume that the brown is ground.  But why does the pad warning sensor
need ground?  Especially when it isn't hooked up to anything?

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e
   E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce/