<MISC> re:Warming hte engine on cold mornings

Manav Gupta sez
>I have a 1997 318i. My manual says that I do not need to warm the engine at
>all on days when the temperature is over 50 degree (Fahrenheit). On cold
>days (below this temperature, you only need to wait 30 seconds).
>
>Does that sounds right? I thought that warming the engine was also a way to
>lubricate the pistons, which is required whether warm or cold.

sounds good

letting the car sit and idle for a long time is not good for the car or
the environment

driving it moderately (ie no revving to redline or slamming on the brakes)
is the best way to warm up a car

remember too that even if you let the car idle until the engine is good and
hot and then go zooming off, the transmission, differential etc are all
still cold and will suffer high wear

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002