<E36> cold engine starting

Somebody please help!

Since winter is approaching, so is the cold weather.  Although I don't mind
the weather too much, my 93 318is seems to hate it!  Lately, when I start
the car in the morning or when the engine is cold, it's been doing funny
things.  The car starts up and everything, but the RPMs jumps from 600 to
1200 (up and down, up and down).  It seems like everytime the RPM goes
below 800, some sort of idle adjuster raises the RPM a few hundred, then
shuts off and the RPMs drop back to 700 again.  After about 30 seconds, the
RPM remains at a consistent value (around 900 RPM).  Is it supposed to do
this (I hope not :)  )?  The car has 95000 km on it and I am not sure if
the timing belt has been replaced or not.  Would replacing the timing belt
fix this jumping of RPMs?

Desperate for help!

Kwok,
1993 318is