re: Toyo RA1

Another data point with the Toyo's (on my 944turbo).  I've run two PCA
events on them (one autoX and one track (BIR)) after running a year on
R1's.  I run 245/45-16 on 16x8, and my suspension is completely stock
(modification envy here).

I agree with the earlier assesment that they do not heat up in auto-X
conditions, they squealed like crazy, they were slipping, and I was slow (I
suppose I was slow on R1's also, but that's another story.... ).

It took me all weekend of my track event to get up to speed.  The Toyo is
much less stiff, and I liked the stiff, stable, and bolted to the track
feel the R1's gave me.  I had much less confidence with the squishy,
sluggish Toyo.  However, by the end of the weekend I had set my 2nd and 3rd
best times ever (would I have gone faster yet on R1's???), I do like the
fact that they do seem to last longer (more :^) per $$$), and another
driver in another stock 944T was a couple seconds faster yet, so they do
seem to have speed.  Another factor to consider:  other R tires are squishy
compared to the R1;   Hoosier, Yoko -- haven't heard any feedback on Kumho,
g-force, GS-C (although the GS-C has serious speed if you can afford it,
~$250 ea, and one driver picked up about 2-3 sec from his Hoosiers at BIR).

For those who have never driven the R1, the Toyo would be a great step up
into the world of R tires, as they are stiffer and more responsive than
street tires, have tons more grip, yet will last more than a weekend or two
(as I've heard about Hoosiers).  Toyo has also been responsive when I have
asked tech questions via e-mail.

Mark Kittock
North Star BMWCCA
'96 328i (awaiting snow tires)
'86 944T (5 pt. harness, Hot Laps timer, 968 brake coolers, Recaro)
'97 Contour SE (happy as it is)