Re: putting up Bimmer outdoors for the winter.

In a message dated 11/4/98 7:07:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 01:13:52 -0400
 From: "H.Brandel" <branhdca@domain.elided>
 Subject: OUTDOOR WINTER STORAGE

 I'm going to be storing my 325e outside for the winter, It's cold and
 lot's of snow. Any suggestions? Jack up the car, special treatment for
 the engine etc.
 Thanks,
 Henry
 84' 325e >>

~~~ If you REALLY want to take care of it, I woud buy one of those "drive in"
car cocoons.  They zipper up/over and encapsulate the entire car once you have
driven into the "storage spot" over the "floor" of the unit. You must remember
though to have a dessicitant insided and outside of the car to suck up the
moisture. You want to "bag" the car so mice/rats/squirrels don't get up into
the engine bay and dine on your wiring. VERY expensive!. You may want to look
in Hemmings Motor News or other car catalogs for the ads for "storage bags".
Griot's Garage, Bavarian Auto Sport, Porsche Performance Products and others
sell the bags that throw into your interior to absorb the moisture out of the
air. You place them on the floor carpet, NOT the seats.

 You may also want to put it up on jack stands, to keep the tires from
developing permanent flat spots in the tread plies. I would drain all the oil,
pull the spark plugs and squirt a little oil into each cylinder to protect the
top set of rings  in each cylinder., then replace plugs. (I use Marvel Mystery
Oil), if there is any gas left in the tank, add a appropriate sized bottle of
Gasoline Stabilizer /Anti-freeze (sold in 6-12 oz. bottles) to keep your fuel
from gumming up.

Be sure to leave the A/C ON in the "recirculate" position before shutting off
engine. This will block off the A/C "door", not allowing moisture to come into
the car through the flap. It goes without saying that you must have fresh
anti-freeze in the car's cooling system for storage.

Come next spring you will refill crankcase oil, remove plugs, squirt a little
oil into each cyinder, replace plugs, then fire her up. DON'T rev it. Let it
just idle for about 5 minutes. Sometimes after winter re-start (a few days
later) I will go ahead and put fresh plugs in.

Randy
cookies@domain.elided
BMWCC member