Big Brakes on M3?

>After some recent modifications to my car it has become clear that I
>need to improve my braking power and I need to revive and expand on the
>big brake thread.  Here are my goals:
>
>1.	Improved stopping power for AutoX and drivers school
>2.	Identify best Big Brake kit (Objectively)
>3.	What are the best wheels that fit: 1. I would like to stay in
>the 17" format. 2. I would like to use the widest wheels/tires front and
>back w/o rolling the fenders.  3. I would like to avoid replacing my
>shocks and springs.
>4.	I would like to use cross drilled floating rotors (and ones that
>can be replaced for a reasonable cost.)
>David
>
>* JimC, Euro HFM and Airbox with snorkle
>* Bilstein sport shocks and springs
>* BMP billet strut bar
>* X Brace
>* Euro floating rotors
>* Stillen DOT stainless steel brake lines
>* BL/SS Bent
>* 3.46:1 Differential w/Alpina cover
>* LTW Oil Pan

David,

Before you go to the considerable expense of a Big Brake Kit, have you
tried a true racing compound brake pad like a PF 80 or 90 / Pagid Orange /
Hawk Blues?  You already have the Euro Rotors and that coupled with a good
pad and Hi-Temp fluid (plus ducting) should be all you need.  I've got
similar mods (like yours) plus a few more go-fast tweaks and I'm yet to run
out of brakes.

M3 brakes set up correctly can absolutely haul the car down at race levels
without resorting to the Big Brake Kits.  Plus, should you ever decide to
go Club or SCCA Racing, that kit will put you into serious modified racing
classes.  Try the pads first, if you haven't. OG Racing/Turner MS / HMS
Motorsport are all good sources.

Cross Drilled rotors are NOT the hot licks unless you have a mega-budget.
They crack where the holes are drilled. Race teams use them, but then they
don't care if they haveta toss them after one event.  Ducting is the key -
not cross drilling. Ducting cools the brakes AND makes your pads last far
longer.  Hate to admit it, but I've not done my yet (next UUC project). I
know my track pads will last a lot longer when I do.

Largest wheels your're gonna squeak onto the car with stock fenders are
8.5" width and max offset of 38mm.  Even then you may have to do a light
'roll' (actually a pounding with a hammer on an E36) depending on the tire
cross section width.

If you still think you need a Big Brake Kit after all, give Steve D'G a
holler at THE ULTIMATE GARAGE. He's ramped up for these and can tell you
what works. Personally, I think they're not required until you start racing
against PTG in GTS3 or thereabouts.

Duane Collie
SVR / UUC / Bubba