1990 325i questions

Just a few questions about my car:

I've noticed some squeaking and maybe a little less braking performance
than usual. I think it's mostly because of around town driving, but it does
bring some questions to mind. I checked the front pads about 4000 miles ago
and they had about 7mm left (didn't check the back). How thin should I let
the brake pads get before replacement? I would like to try to do the brake
work myself when the time comes. Is there anything I should know about this
that's not in the Bentley manual?

As for pads, any recommendations? I do mostly city driving but I would like
them to be able to handle some aggressive driving and driver's schools if I
ever get around to that. I have also heard of some rotors having better
manufacture so they are less likely to warp. Original BMW the way to go?

I have noticed a light metallic sound when I hit bumps with the right front
wheel (haven't isolated it to the front, just more noticeable there). It is
not very loud, since I cannot hear it with the windows closed. Suspension
should be okay considering weak balljoints were just replaced, shocks are
Bilsteins with < 15000 miles, control arm bushings are of the M3 offset
variety and pretty new, steering feels tight. I realize this is pretty
vague but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I notice occasionally a vibration in the steering under braking, maybe
warped rotors, but the metallic noise makes me think there might be
something iffy in the front suspension.

The car also may have an exhaust leak toward the front of the car. It just
seems a little loud. Worth checking out.

The car is due for an Inspection II but I am in college so that's a little
expensive for me. I was thinking about doing a valve adjustment, air
filter, fuel filter, possibly a few other things myself. (brake fluid,
coolant, water pump, timing belt, t'stat, belts, ignition rotor are new so
they need no attention) I am concerned about possibly adjusting the valves
too tight. Any recommendatons on the valves or otherwise?

Thanks.

Chris Hutchins
chutchin@domain.elided
1990 325i