Re: Toyo RA1's

I've used the Toyo's for a number of years now at track schools and
autocross and really like them.  For auto cross, they do not get a
chance to really warm up during a  run.  R1's seem to have better cold
grip.  If you can sneek off the site and go warm up the tires, you'll do
better.  However, a good driver can win with either tire (I have not run
other sticky tires in competition, so I can't comment on the others).

I really like the Toyo's for the track.  They last a long time, are very
progressive at the limit (easy to catch a slide), they seem to be able
to deal with bigger slip angles before they finally let go, they "talk"
more than the R1's (make more noise if you're pushing too hard), and
they're sticky right down to the steel :-).  They do not have the razor
sharp turn-in that the R1's have, but once you are used to that, it's no
big deal.  I've run R1's and the Toyos on track and all of my fastest
times have come while I was on the Toyos.  YMMV.

The Toyo's may need a little more negative camber since they're not as
stiff and they do not have the stiffer inner side wall.

Do get them shaved for track use.  I've been thinking about using them
full tread on the street (they are good in the rain at full tread depth)
and once they are worn down, they become the dry track tires.  A new set
of full tread tires go on another set of wheels for use on the street.
BTW, I'm running 205/55/14 on the stock "is" wheels.

See ya at Roebling................

Mike Orth
Tarheel Chapter
88 325is -  track car/very fun street car ;-)
93 325is - street car/backup track car