Re: Snow Tires ie:how to beat a dead horse

>Limited Budget-
>I don't do any high performance driving-
>I do put a lot of miles on my car-
>Would like a tire to last me at least two seasons-
>
>Big O tires has a complete set for about $270
>Discount Tires about $230
>
>Big O tires are sniped or some such, what is that?
>
>Any recomendations and shopping tips would be appreciated.
>It seems like most of you guys run the expensive stuff ie:Pirrelli, Blizzak,
>etc.  Are there any less expensive but safe and trustworthy alternatives?

I bought the cheapest snow tires. Looks like SUV tires, sounds like SUV
tires, handles like a SUV (esp new, got better after a few k miles, still
take corners slow). However they are effective and make the car a real
goer in the snow (esp with my Ltd Slip).

Spend a few bucks extra per tire and get something that looks like a car
tire, maybe in between the cheapo and Blizzak (cheap work well on my 245
Volvo - the extra noise isn't noticable and handling not much worse).

The siping thing looks like a total ripoff (scary to think what it would
have done to the handling) and seems like it would only help on ice - get
studs instead if you want ice traction (BTW studs are 100% legal here -I
got free studs on the 245 because all they had were prestudded tires
left, of course after asking if I wanted to pay for them).

Also bargain on the mounting, valve stem, road hazard, etc. There is a
LOT of room for negotiaion on these items. And Discount Tire stores will
price match with Discount Tire ads in magazines (prices are NOT
neccessarily the same).

Chris Guy - CGuy1@domain.elided
Denver, CO
1986 535i, 1983 245DL, 1986 740GLE