89 525i

OK, I asked about 525i's about a week ago and got some good information.
Mostly I was told to look for at least a 91 since it had the VANOS engine.
I've been looking for one since then, but I recently ran across an 89 with
65K, mint condition (although I haven't seen it yet), automatic, for $9500.
This is about trade-in according to KBB, but I know they're not perfect.  The
car is for my wife, so neither the power nor the auto are a big deal in
themselves.  I'm looking for a car that will run a long time without a lot of
problems (who isn't, right?).  Anything in particular I should know about this
vehicle?  Any information, criticism, etc., is appreciated.  I read on a
website today the digital odometers were easy to manipulate.  True?  Anyone
have a picture of an 89?

Thanks

Bill
BMWCCA 160195

PS  I received my Roundel today!  Thanks for all of the responses...