<E36> M52 engine behavior

The new M52 2.5L engine is wonderfully smooth and strong. But
there are two things about it that I would like to change.

First, the off-throttle behavior. When you let your foot off the
throttle, the engine does not cut off the fuel immediately, like
the M20 engine does in my 87 325i. The RPMs float for about half
a second before dropping. This makes fast and smooth shifting
almost impossible and engine braking negligible. It's almost like
automatic slushbox behavior. When I upshift too quickly the engine
RPMs are dragged down by the clutch engagement, resulting in bucking
and jerking on every shift. It's so much easier to shift smoothly
with the M20. I've heard this M52 behavior is intentionally programmed
into the car for emissions reduction. I wonder if the wizard in SLC can
do something about this (listening, Jim?)

Second, and less annoying, is that the engine runs out of steam at 5500
RPM. Compared to the M20 or the M50 (I presume) which pull hard to
higher RPMs, this engine seems less BMW-like, like a step back towards
the M20-eta design. You know, better mid-range torque in exchange for
high end power. Don't get me wrong, I do like the good torque
(the torque peak is at 3900 RPM) down low. Is it possible to
improve the high end without sacrificing much in the low end,
or does this low end model owner have to live with the fact that
I was too cheap to get a 328.

Opinions are appreciated.

Matt Graham
98 323is