Re;Starter Solonoid

I had a similar problem on my E34 535i 90 automatic 162000mi
Disconnect negative battery cable
Remove starter (double jointed wrist might be needed)
Dismantle and clean solenoid a very small amount of dirt or dried grease will
cause plunger to stick
Dismantling of starter probably not necessary
DO NOT LUBRICATE!!!!
Reassemble
3 BEER job
Good Luck
riggerb@domain.elided BMWCCA#69470

    <In the morning I've noticed that when starting my engine, the
starter continues to spin for about 3 to 4 seconds after the engine
turns over, then stops.  The engine continues to run as normal, and
throughout the rest of the day, I don't experience this problem.  Is the
starter headed down the lonely trail, or is the solenoid just sticking?
Are there any serviceable/cleanable contacts in the solenoid?  What can
I do to resolve this problem?>